Thursday, January 26, 2012

Class Exercise #2: Objective/Tactics

Starting PARTNER WORK. It's structured improv, meaning it's got a plot and rehearsals, but it can change during the performance of the skit. Though it's pretty straight-forward.
Format of My Recap: title of exercise -- brief description of exercise, describing the scene itself, OBJECTIVE/TACTICS outline, and my overall thoughts on the scene/my partner [disclaimer: honest].
performed on Thursday, January 19, 2012
#2. Objective, Tactics -- Both ppl need to do/get something from the other using 3 tactics. 
Scene -- Bobby and I are coworkers at the home depot. I'm at work and he came in to get some paint. I had a potential date so i wanted him to cover me for the next hour. He wanted me to take his entire AM shift saturday. I say no, he says no. We each persist.
Bobby: c'mon why can't you just take my shift? c'mon why not? what's up... why not?
Karyn: fine!! ...there's a reason i've been working at the home depot since 1998. I don't get up before noon!
Bobby says okay, he'll cover me. I exit. He lied and exits suspiciously.

OBJECTIVES
  • Bobby - get Karyn to take my shift on Saturday morning 8am-1pm
    • TACTICS :
      • Guilt Trip - "I took two of your shifts last month, therefore you should take this one"
        • rejected: Karyn: I don't remember those shifts
      • Bribery - I'll give you a few bucks for lunch that day
      • Pleading - "why won't you take the shift?"
      • Lying - EXIT
    • Rejections
      • Why can't you do it later?
      • Get someone else?
      • My list of errands
  • Karyn - get Bobby to work for one hour while Karyn goes on a lunch date
    • TACTICS:
      • Manipulation: "What are you up to right now?"
      • Barter
      • Plead
    • Rejections
      • Initial Agreement, but rejected at finding out that it starts at 8am. "Oh, I have something that morning"
      • Rejection of the money for lunch: "I may be out of town"
      • There's a reason Ive been working at home depot for ten years
WORKING WITH BOBBY:
I wasn't sure about working with Bobby. I had my pick of the class to work with, and I wanted to work with Mallory cuz she was really the only one i had spoken to in the class at that point. but Bobby was sitting an empty chair away from me. my initial thought that he was probably just nice, but not real experienced. i was probly just in one of those moods: shy, nervous, anxious about the skit. He offered so joyfully that i couldn't refuse and he made me happy about the scene to come!

It's a good thing I worked with him! He's got to be one of the best idea-guys and very talented in acting! He really understands the material and can get into the mind of the situation/characters. He's organized, has good opinions, and has a really easy-going personality that is super great to work with. Bobby really knows how to break a scene down and move at an even pace. Different from Nate (no offense Nate). I learned a lot from working with him, and I'll never misjudge ppl again! Bobby is now one of my favorite people in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment