Saturday, March 10, 2012

Girl, Interrupted Monologue

Help me understand, Daisy.
'Cuz i thought you didn't do valium.
I do. But i'm sick, Daisy. We know that.
But here you are in so called recovery, playing Betty Crocker, cut up like a damn Virginia ham.
Tell me how this safety net is working for you.
Tell me that you don't take that blade and drag it across your skin and pray for the courage to press down.
Tell me how your daddy helps you cope with that.
I mean, you tell me daddy loves you, and I bet he does.
With every inch of his manhood.

They didn't release you because you got better, Daisy.
They just gave up.
You call this a life, hmm?
Taking daddy's money, buying your dollies and your knick-knacks,
and eating his chicken, fattening up like a prize heifer.
You changed the scenery but not the situation.
And the wardon makes house calls.
And everybody knows. Everybody knows that he screws you.
But what they don't know is you like it. Hmm? You like it.

But hey man, it's cool. Whatever.
A man is a dick is a man is a dick is a chicken, a dad, a valium, a speculum, whatever.
Whatever.
You like being Mrs. Randone.
Probably all you've ever known, huh?



I presented this in my acting class, and it got quite a silent reaction. My TA just said, "Okay, well now we're all going to be a little scared of Karyn." 

Kinda fun :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow Karyn. Intense! You are truly an amazing actress. We need to do skits one of these weekends, for rizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dropped by in search for a monologue, and I am not disappointed with what I found! Let me tell you, I am thrilled to find a creative, soulful interpretation of Lisa; not the usual, boring crap. You are truly a good actress=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. About a year ago I found this and did it for my acting class and got about the same reaction lol. You're perfect for the part, you've got the sultry, husky voice going on and it's just great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! My only issue with it is that sociopaths don't intend to hurt people; they do it by nature. This came off as a bit too intentional. That is quite literally the ONLY problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read/watched "Girl Interrupted"? In the monologue, Lisa is literally trying to get into Daisys head so she can use her against herself. Which is based off of events with a REAL person. Lisa is malicious as anything, and this monologue is just an example of how manipulative she can be

      Delete
  5. Hi there
    I also have a video monologue from this movie
    Check it out!

    https://youtu.be/2NG5yrQsQaY?si=HQw6gEudt8lGFMqa

    ReplyDelete